Calories Burned Swimming Calculator and Formula
Swimming is a fun water activity that you can do alone or with your friends. Along with being an enjoyable experience, swimming helps you stay physically fit and healthy as well.
And the best part is, swimming can help you burn calories and lose weight.
You can use the calories burned swimming calculator to find the total number of calories that you can burn from swimming.
About Calories Burned Swimming Calculator
Swimming is an excellent activity that offers exercise to your entire body.
Aside from a gym workout, regular swimming sessions are the best way to keep your body in shape.
This low-impact physical activity offers numerous physical and mental health benefits.
If you want to burn calories and lose weight fast, then we recommend signing up for regular swimming sessions.
You can use the calories burned swimming calculator to stay on top of your fitness routine.
By using this calculator, you can know at all times the number of calories that you burn from swimming. You can tweak your fitness routine to meet your caloric goals.
The calories burned swimming calculator is a free online utility that makes it easier for you to find the calories burned from swimming.
How to use this calculator?
Here is how you can use the calories burned swimming calculator:
- Input your weight in the calculator. You can input the weight either in kgs or lbs in the calories burned swimming calculator.
- Choose the type of swimming activity.
- Input the time you have spent swimming.
- Click on the Calculate button to find the total number of calories burned from swimming.
Formula for finding calories burned from swimming
If you want to find the number of calories burned from swimming manually, you can use the calories burned per minute formula for that purpose.
Here is the formula for finding calories burned per minute:
Calories Burned Per Minute = (3.5 x Weight(in kg) x MET) / 200
The MET in this equation is the measurement of the energy cost of physical activity (such as swimming), for any period of time.
You can multiply the answer of the above equation by the total number of minutes you have spent swimming to find the total calories burned from this activity.
Here are the MET values for different swimming-related activities:
- Tubing or floating on a river in general – 2.3
- Treading water with moderate effort – 3.5
- Recreational backstroke – 4.8
- Recreational breaststroke – 5.3
- Water aerobics – 5.5
- Freestyle laps, front crawl with a slow pace and light effort – 5.8
- Swimming in a lake, ocean, or a river – 6
- Swimming as a leisure activity – 6
- Sidestroke in general – 7
- Synchronized swimming – 8
- Crawling with medium speed – 8.3
- Backstroke in a competition – 9.5
- Treading water with fast pace and vigorous effort – 9.8
- Laps and freestyle with vigorous effort – 9.8
- Crawling with a fast speed – 10
- Breaststroke in a competition – 10.3
- Butterfly swimming in general – 13.8
Does swimming help burn calories?
Swimming is an intense physical activity that involves a lot of physical movement. You need to push yourself against the water and propel yourself forward using your entire body.
Since swimming requires intense physical effort, it can help you burn a lot of calories and lose weight.
You can use swimming as an alternative to the gym if you want a fun activity for burning calories and losing weight.
How many calories does an average person burn from swimming for an hour?
On average, a person can burn between 430 to 575 calories per hour from swimming in general.
The number of calories burned varies depending on the weight of the person, the type of the swimming activity, and the intensity with which you swim.
More Calorie Calculators:
- Hiking Calorie Calculator
- Calories Burned Sleeping Calculator
- Elliptical Calories Burned Calculator
- Calories Burned Running Calculator
- How Many Calories Should I Eat Each Day?
- Calories Burned Biking Calculator
- Calorie Deficit Calculator
- Jumping Rope Calories Burned Calculator
- Calories Absorbed By Fiber Calculator
- Recommended Calorie Breakdown Calculator
- Calories Burned Today Calculator
- Calories per Day Calculator
- Calorie Composition Calculator
More health benefits of swimming
Swimming works both your upper and lower body. There are different swimming styles out there that you can learn, and each style targets a specific set of muscles in your body.
All in all, it is an excellent alternative for a vigorous gym routine. You can swim regularly to keep yourself physically healthy and active.
People suffering from sleep-related issues can use swimming to tackle the problem. When you swim, it offers a great deal of exercise to your entire body.
The intense physical activity that you get from swimming helps you get better sleep during the night.
People all over the world go for swimming to release their stress. When you swim in freshwater, it resets your brain.
You get to be more appreciative of the things around you. And when you feel better after swimming for a while, you feel more confident in your ability to handle the challenges of your life.
Great for people with asthma
There are a lot of breathing exercises associated with swimming. People with asthma can benefit a lot from these breathing exercises.
Helps build strength
When you swim regularly, it helps develop muscle strength.
The strength comes from the resistance that your body has to face while swimming in the water.
Swimming makes your muscles stronger which helps you a lot in various aspects of your practical life.