Whether you engage in casual kissing or a passionate make-out session, both activities involve a certain level of physical movement. This is the reason why kissing helps you burn calories. Keep on reading till the end to find how many calories you can burn from kissing.
Find out How Many Calories Can You Burn from Kissing?
You can burn about 198 calories from kissing for an hour.
The number of calories burned from kissing varies from person to person. The number varies based on factors such as your weight and the intensity with which you kiss someone.
Calories Burned from Kissing Calculator
Kissing offers a wide range of health benefits including enhanced immunity and oral hygiene. Although it doesn’t involve a lot of physical movement, you can still burn calories while kissing.
If you want to find the exact number of calories that you can burn from kissing, then you can use our calorie burned calculator.
This calculator features an engaging UI design which makes it easier for you to find the number of calories burned from kissing.
Our calorie burned from the kissing calculator is 100% free and it doesn’t require registration. You can use this calculator on your PC or mobile web browser for free, without any hassle.
How to Use this Calculator?
Here is how you can use the calorie burned from the kissing calculator:
- Choose your preferred input option for weight.
- Enter your weight in the calculator.
- Choose the type of activity.
- Enter the amount of time that you have spent kissing.
- Click on the Calculate button to find the number of calories burned.
How the Calculator Works
The calories burned from the kissing calculator uses the standard calorie burned per minute formula for its calculations. The formula involves the use of Metabolic Equivalent Task (MET) values of an activity, such as kissing.
Each physical activity has a preset MET value associated with it. Our calculator uses that value to find the number of calories burned.
The MET value of an activity is conventionally calculated by multiplying 3.5mL oxygen per kg body weight of a person by the total number of minutes that they spend doing the physical activity.
Here is the formula for finding calories burned per minute:
Calories Burned Per Minute = (MET x 3.5 x Bodyweight(kg)) / 200
MET is the most crucial thing when it comes to calorie burned calculation. The concept of MET represents the energy required to do a certain task.
The MET value for kissing is 2.6.
When discussing the MET for physical activity, factors such as Active Metabolic Rate (AMR) and the Rest Metabolic Rate (RMR) also come into the picture.
The AMR helps determine the number of calories that you burn while your body is engaged in some sort of physical activity.
The RMR helps determine the number of calories that your body has burned while being in the resting state.
An activity with a MET value of 1 burns the same number of calories as your RMR. An activity with a MET value of 5 is going to burn five times the number of calories as your RMR.
The same ratio works for kissing which has a MET value of 2.6. It is going to burn 2.6 times the number of calories as your base RMR.
- Find the number of calories burned for a person who weighs 160 lbs (72.5 kgs) and spends 60 minutes being engaged in kissing. The MET value for kissing is 2.6.
- Calories Burned Per Minute = (MET x 3.5 x Bodyweight(kg)) / 200
- Calories Burned Per Minute = (2.6 x 3.5 x 72.5) / 200
- Calories Burned Per Minute = 3.3 calories
- Calories Burned in 60 Minutes = 3.3 calories x 60
- Calories Burned in 60 Minutes = 198 calories
Impact of Kissing on Health
Kissing is among the oldest ways of expressing your love and admiration to the people close to your heart. It is the simplest yet the most beautiful and intimate thing that two lovers can do to strengthen their love and commitment to each other.
Apart from romantic aspects, kissing has also been found to have many positive effects on your physical as well as mental health. It is a great way to relieve your stress and anxiety and it releases oxytocin, serotonin, and dopamine that make you feel happier and cheerful.
Health Benefits of Kissing
– Emotional Bonding
Kissing your partner allows you to bond well with each other. Placing your lips over your lovers’ gives you both the feeling of togetherness and belonging.
As a result of this, you experience a certain kind of calm and peace that lifts your mood and makes you feel good about yourself.
– Boosts Metabolism
Kissing is a great way to get your metabolism running. This intense form of intimacy burns a lot of calories from your body and that speeds up your metabolism and you feel healthier as a result.
Having a fast metabolism helps with digestion, gives you more energy, and aids in weight loss. All these great factors lead to better overall health and fitness. So, kiss your partner regularly to enjoy both a healthy relationship as well as a healthy body.
– Oral Hygiene
Passionate kissing stimulates salivary glands inside your mouth. Your saliva contains components that fight bacteria inside your mouth. As you kiss, more saliva is produced and that keeps your teeth, gums, and mouth healthy.
Your oral hygiene is extremely important and if you wish to enjoy a truly healthy body, you need to pay full attention to your oral hygiene. You can start by kissing your loved one and enjoy a healthy mouth as well as better overall health.
– Enhances Immunity
Kissing your partner exposes your system to foreign germs that sometimes can train your immune system to fight better. Research has shown that couples who often engage in kissing usually have the same microbiota in their saliva as well as on their tongues.
This means that by kissing you can train your immune system to fight foreign viruses and bacteria better and minimize the risks of developing infections.
– Releases Happy Hormones
Kissing can help release happy chemicals called dopamine, endorphins, oxytocin, and serotonin. All these chemicals lift your mood and reduce anxiety as well as depression symptoms.
This leads to a better overall mood and that means there will be fewer risks of you developing heart conditions or respiratory illnesses.
– Alleviates Stress
Kissing is a great way to get rid of the unnecessary stress of the day. People who kiss often tend to stay happy and cheerful more than those who do not kiss that often.
Kissing allows you to be fully present at the moment and forget about all your worries and intrusive thoughts. Doing this more often helps you stay in a positive state of mind and thus, it eliminates stress.
– Tones Facial Muscles
Kissing normally involves the movement of about 34 muscles of your body. Since there is no direct way to exercise these muscles, kissing gives you that opportunity.
Kissing gives a workout to both your neck as well as facial muscles and triggers collagen production which leads to younger and firm-looking skin.
MET Values Table
|Type of Activity||MET|
Factors Affecting Calories Burned from Kissing
Kissing is an intimate activity that varies in its intensity. You can either kiss casually or engage in a passionate kissing moment to express your love and care for your partner.
The number of calories that you burn from kissing depends on your weight and the overall intensity of the kiss.
More Calorie Calculators:
- Hiking Calorie Calculator
- Calories Burned Sleeping Calculator
- Elliptical Calories Burned Calculator
- Calories Burned Running Calculator
- How Many Calories Should I Eat Each Day?
- Calories Burned Biking Calculator
- Calorie Deficit Calculator
- Jumping Rope Calories Burned Calculator
- Calories Absorbed By Fiber Calculator
- Recommended Calorie Breakdown Calculator
- Calories Burned Today Calculator
- Calories per Day Calculator
- Calorie Composition Calculator
1. Why is a lip kiss important?
Kissing is a great way of showing your love and intimacy. Apart from that, it also strengthens your facial muscles, activates salivary glands, and develops a more efficient immune system.
2. Is tongue kissing healthy?
Tongue kissing can expose you to new germs and that strengthens your immune system.
3. Is kissing good for your health?
Kissing is a healthy activity that can help you fight stress and anxiety and feel instantly great. Both your physical and mental health improves as a result of kissing frequently and you feel more fulfilled.
Kissing is one of the most common ways of expressing your love for the people who are close to your heart. Along with being a way of expressing your love, kissing also offers a wide range of health benefits.
You can use our calorie burned from kissing calculator to keep track of the number of calories that you burn from kissing.
Visit our website to find more of our calorie burned calculators for other physical activities.
- Sidney, K., Jetté, M., & Blümchen, G. (1990). Metabolic equivalents (METS) in exercise testing, exercise prescription, and evaluation of functional capacity. Clinical cardiology, 13(8), 555–565. https://doi.org/10.1002/clc.4960130809
- Rol, James. “What Are METs, and How Are They Calculated?” Healthline, Healthline, 21 Oct. 2019, https://www.healthline.com/health/what-are-mets
- Lindberg, S. (2019, August 23). How Many Calories Does Kissing Burn? Numbers, Activities, and More. Healthline; Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/healthy-sex/how-many-calories-does-kissing-burn
- Santos-Longhurst, A. (2018, July 14). 16 Reasons to Kiss. Healthline; Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/benefits-of-kissing