Calories Burned Driving Calculator and Formula
Whether you are driving a car, truck, riding on a motorcycle, or even flying an airplane, all these activities can help you burn calories.
If you want to find the exact number of calories you burn while driving, then you can use our calories burned driving calculator to do that.
About Calories Burned Driving Calculator
Driving is generally associated with convenience as it saves you from spending a lot of physical energy while traveling from one place to another.
But still, driving also requires a certain level of physical movement. So, if you drive a lot, it can help you burn calories and lose body weight.
You can use the calories burned driving calculator to keep track of the number of calories you burn while driving.
The number of calories that you burn while driving can vary based on the vehicle that you are driving. For example, driving a school bus takes a lot more energy than driving a standard car.
It doesn’t matter the kind of vehicle you drive; you can use our calories burned calculator to find the total number of calories you have burned while driving.
How to use this calculator?
Here is how you can calculate calories burned using our calculator:
- Enter your body weight in the calories burned calculator. You can choose either the lbs or the kgs option to enter the weight.
- Choose the type of driving activity.
- Enter the time you have spent driving in the calculator.
- Click on the Calculate button to find the total number of calories you have burned driving.
Formula for finding calories burned driving
The calories burned while driving calculation is quite easy to perform manually.
If you want to learn how to find calories burned without the online calculator, then this section is for you.
Here is the formula that you can use to find the calories burned per minute:
Calories Burned Per Minute = (3.5 x Weight(kg) x MET) / 200
When you get the calories burned per minute from the above equation, you can multiply the answer by the total number of minutes you have spent driving on the road.
When you do that, it will give you the results calories burned from driving as per your driving time.
The MET values are specific for driving different kinds of vehicles because they require different levels of physical activities. Below are some of the most commonly driven vehicle types and the MET values associated with them:
- Riding in a standard car or truck – 1.3
- Riding in a bus or train – 1.3
- Flying a helicopter or an airplane – 1.8
- Driving a delivery truck, a taxi, a shuttle bus, or a school bus – 2
- Driving an automobile or a light truck– 2.5
- Driving a motor scooter or a motorcycle – 3.5
- Truck driving or loading and unloading a truck – 6.5
Does driving help burn calories and lose weight?
Whether you are driving a car or sitting in a car as a passenger, both experiences involve a certain amount of physical movement and energy expenditure.
As a driver, you have to control the vehicle while moving around your body and paying attention to the road. And if you are doing some kind of activity such as eating junk food or talking on the phone, you need to be more focused on the road while driving.
As a passenger sitting in the car, you move against the aerial resistance and there you are hardly ever sitting 100% still.
As a result of the physical movement, you get to burn calories and lose weight. So, driving can indeed help you burn calories and stay active.
How much calories you burn would depend on your weight and the time spent on driving. You can burn more calories by driving vehicles that are hard to control such as a massive truck or a passenger bus.
How many calories does an average person burn driving for an hour?
If you are riding a vehicle as a passenger, you can burn as many as between 80 to 130 calories in an hour.
While driving the car yourself, you can burn as many as 150 to 250 calories per hour.
More Calorie Calculators:
- Hiking Calorie Calculator
- Calories Burned Sleeping Calculator
- Elliptical Calories Burned Calculator
- Calories Burned Running Calculator
- How Many Calories Should I Eat Each Day?
- Calories Burned Biking Calculator
- Calorie Deficit Calculator
- Jumping Rope Calories Burned Calculator
- Calories Absorbed By Fiber Calculator
- Recommended Calorie Breakdown Calculator
- Calories Burned Today Calculator
- Calories per Day Calculator
- Calorie Composition Calculator
Benefits of learning to drive
It is a valuable skill
Driving is a valuable skill that can prove to be quite crucial for you in the future.
When you need to go to someplace in an emergency, driving by yourself is the fastest way for you to do that.
It gives you freedom
Learning to drive gives you the freedom to travel to different places all by yourself.
You won’t have to rely on a traveling service to take you to where you want to go.
It gives you confidence
Learning to drive gives you a massive confidence boost. You feel confident and your self-esteem gets a major boost.
It makes you independent
When you learn to drive, it makes you self-dependent. You don’t need to rely on anybody, and you can travel anywhere you want, all by yourself.
This sense of independence teaches you to face the challenges of life with greater confidence.